May 31, 2020
Jesus and the Samaritan Woman
- 1. Read John 4:10 and Ephesians 2:8-9. Why is it important to see that what Jesus offers is a gift? Can a person earn a gift? How do some people try to be right with God when they don’t accept God’s gift?
- 2. Read John 4:13-14 and 7:37-39. What is the living water Jesus is talking about? How does a person receive that living water? What other person (Father, Son, or Holy Spirit) is talked about as it relates to living water? Who does Jesus offer it to?
- 3. Read John 4:42. The Samaritans call Jesus the “Savior of the world.” What do we learn about Jesus as the Savior in these verses 2 Timothy 1:10 and 1 John 4:14? Why do you need a Savior? What does Jesus save us from?
Retelling the Bible Story
- The Bible story written out as well as an application to the story and questions
- Map, visuals, and stand ups of Jesus and the Samaritan woman to retell the story
- Well pencil cup, drawing pictures of the woman (how other women saw her & how Jesus saw her)
- Neat craft showing three scenes of the story
- Doorknob hanger in black and white to color.
- Well of life and Living Water Lava Lamp
- Well craft
- Pop-up woman at well picture, coloring sheets, and paper puzzle to color
- Story written out with discussion questions at the end for three different levels. Also, it has great activities such as looking at a map to see if Jesus had to go through Samaria or what were other routes he could have taken, running around until thirsty and taking a drink, talking about how Jesus quenches our thirst for God, and a well craft.
- Act out skit & Living Water drops
- Act out skit- could do it informally or have children write a skit for it (It is always interesting what they come up with) or a parent could write the script. After they act out the story have them explain what it means and why it is an important story from the Bible
- Living Water Drops- talking about forgiveness
- Empty water jars relay race, water pictures game, worship positions, holy spaces (better with more people, but could be adapted by seeing how many times the children can correctly guess the worship position the person in the middle is portraying)
- Various games and has some songs with words and music and a piano playing it separate
- These pages look closely at the clues to what living water might be meaning using two Old Testament passages as a basis. More activities to do on the sheet as well.
- Maze, crossword puzzle, word search, fill in the blank game, jumble, multiple choice
- Crossword, coloring page, decoding page, word search, spot the difference sheet, paper puzzle, & word scramble
- Word search, maze, crossword, & more
- Fun upbeat song from Donutman, but only part of the song
- Woman at the well song lyrics that you can sing to Skip to my Lou
- God So Loved (Hillsong kids)
- John 3:16 (the Rizers animated song video)
May 24, 2020
Jesus and Nicodemus
- Read Ephesians 3:17-19. The apostle Paul prays for believers to grow in their love. What should we know about God’s love? How does knowing God’s love for us help us grow? Describe God’s love in your own words. What’s it like?
- Read Numbers 21:1-9 and John 3:14-15. This earlier bible story was mentioned in our bible passage for this week. What happened to the Israelites? How did they receive healing? Compare this story with people looking at Jesus on the cross. What must people do to be rescued from their sin? What do both stories require from us?
- Read John 3:5-8. Why does everyone need a spiritual birthday or to be born again? What is one testimony that you’ve heard someone share about being born again? How has their life changed? What caused that change? Has anything like that happened in your life? Share about that.
- Heart Craft: We can remind our children that when we are born again, we are given a new heart and a new life.
- New Creation Butterfly Craft: The first craft is life cycle of butterfly (to explain new life). The video explains how to do the craft and relates it to Nicodemus.
- Up-cycled and born again craft: The second craft is upcycling an item and making something new out of what we have (this relates to how God changes us). The written directions are at the bottom of the page.
- Multiple crafts: Stained glass craft from coffee filters, clay model of earth, stuffed hearts craft
- Don’t Get Caught game & I-Spy in the Dark game (talking about how Nicodemus came to Jesus in the night)
- Jigsaw puzzles that can be printed, colored and cut apart
- Games highlighting how Nicodemus came to Jesus in the night
- Object lessons you can do with your kids to help them understand the concepts in the story. One is using a fan/hair dryer & talking about what we can’t see. Another object lesson uses a jug of dirty water.
- https://truewaykids.com/jesus-and-nicodemus/ Have to download the lesson, then you can access the coloring sheet.
- Solve the secret code, color by number, spot the difference page, word search, and printable puzzle.
- Nicodemus seeks Jesus coloring page
- For God So Loved (John 3:16) with hand motions
- God So Loved (Hillsong kids)
- John 3:16 (the Rizers animated song video)
Tell the story at home!
- Fun ways to tell the story at home involving the children. Make sure to scroll down a little bit.
- Read the story from the Bible
- Cut out strips of paper and label each with a verse from the story and have kids help read the story
- Act out the story (for the kids or using the kids as props)
- Tell the story with puppets
- Show kids a video of the story cartoon version or live actors version
A script for the story of Nicodemus (could have children act it out or make puppets out of lunch bags and perform it.
- Picture of some sample puppets you could make to retell the story
May 17, 2020
Jesus Taught in Nazareth
- Read Luke 4:15 & 4:28-29. What were the two responses to Jesus? What do you think each response was expecting of Jesus? What are things you expect of Jesus? Do they serve Jesus or just you?
- Read 1 Kings 17:14-16 & 24. How did God provide for this widow? Later, what did she say when God’s power raised her son to life? Why do you think God chose someone outside of Israel to bless? How does that help us think about His heart for all people?
- Read 2 Kings 5:15-17 & Revelation 7:9-10. Who did Naaman view as the only One True God? Do you think the Lord is looking for praise from only one group of people or all groups of people on earth? What’s one way we can join God in His mission?
Crafts & Activities
- Scroll Roll is an art activity found here. A game on this site is called rejected musical chairs. (Maybe if Mom & Dad played too there would be enough people!)
- Share Good News Scrolls is also an art activity. These activities help children understand the concepts of setting the prisoners free and making the blind see.
- Synagogues – This powerpoint shows what different modern day synagogues look like and tells what items are found in every synagogue. There is even a worksheet where students can draw their own synagogue and draw lines from the description to the item that they drew. It is available in a download or you can preview the powerpoint without downloading it.
- Bookmark – Make sure to scroll down to find this. It can be used by having kids write or draw what they learned from the story.
- Craft magnets the can be made and decorated as a fun visual to reinforce this week’s lesson.
- Fruit by the foot wrapped around pretzels – A fun snack that makes a scroll.
- Jesus in Nazareth activity pages – coloring page, crossword, decoder activity, word match, word search and activities.
- Jesus in Nazareth activity pages – review sheet, easier & harder crossword and maze, & coloring sheet.
- Here is fun coloring page.
- Coloring sheet. This one has where you can color it online!
Video Resources related to the two elementary stories (referenced by Jesus)
Crafts & Activities related to two elementary stories
- Door hanger with pocket art activity also has the story of Naaman.
- Dip Naaman – The craft is Naaman on a popsicle stick going down into a cup and on the 7th time, you turn him around and he is happy & without the leprosy.
- Simple art activity
- Matching game idea and bread basket napkin craft
- Act out story by putting stickers on kids and tell story. At the end of the story the kids lose the stickers just like Naaman lost his spots from the leprosy. Also has other activities such as Sweep Up the Spots & Seven Dips
- Refill the bucket- a water relay race. Make sure to scroll down page to find it. Review questions are further down the page.
- At home idea: You could make some homemade bread with the children as you talk about the story or make miniature bread rolls using canned bread sticks or frozen dough
Activity & Coloring Pages for the two elementary stories
- Worksheet with questions to answer by circling pictures, and a fun lapbook to do on Elijah & Elisha.
- Here are some songs to sing, coloring sheets, and games & activities.
- Spot the difference worksheet, word scramble, & find the hidden objects in a picture (Scroll to the bottom to find them).
- Coloring pages, and puzzle to make and do (Scroll down the page to find it).
- Online crossword
- Word search
- Elijah/widow coloring page/maze
- Naaman booklet to print, color and read.
- Crossword, word search, and review sheet